During the labor of my daughter, I realized just how much I could use some Carmex for my lips. They got so chapped that they were bleeding and swollen. It is amazing how the little comforts during labor, can make things much more bearable. The following items can certainly be useful during labor and delivery. Include a few treats, you deserve it!
- tennis balls for massages
- a Birthing ball (exercise ball): It is useful for bouncing on, and laying your chest and head on it. If you sit on it correctly (with your legs spread somewhat) it actually helps to open your cervix and bring the baby down correctly. Some women actually enjoy bouncing on it during labor.
- Bottles of Water for mother, daddy, and birth attendants
- Gatorade or Laborade
- Honey in a spoon or honey straws
- Washcloths for soaking in a crockpot with herbs such as lavender (These feel great on the back or face)
- Popsicles or lollipops to keep mouth hydrated.These look really good to me!
- Massaging oils or lotions such as here. One of my friends gave me a set like this after Lily was born, and it was lovely! Lavender is best for promoting relaxation, which is essential for the first stage of labor.
- Power Bars for busy mommy, daddy, and birth attendants. Don't let your blood sugar drop!
- Fruit: Some women find that eating one piece of fruit during a difficult time in labor, helps them to carry on.
- Water: If you are not going to use a birthing pool, many women recommend soaking in your tub or taking a shower as a way to soften your skin and make the pain more bearable.
- Scripture booklet: Many women compose a scripture booklet prior to labor with scriptures which they can focus on during labor.
- Perhaps, have a movie on hand, which you really want to see, and save it for the early hours of labor. What a good distraction. It may help you to remain calm.